Lift & Shift Migration Strategy
Migrating an SAP system to AWS using a "lift and shift" strategy involves moving the existing SAP system, including its underlying infrastructure and application, from an on-premises or other cloud environment to AWS without making any significant changes to the system.
The following are some key steps in a lift and shift migration strategy for SAP on AWS:
• Assess the current SAP landscape: Understand the current architecture and dependencies of the SAP system, including the hardware and software components and their configurations.
• Identify the target architecture: Determine the desired architecture on AWS, including the appropriate AWS services and configurations to support the SAP system.
• Prepare the environment: Set up the necessary infrastructure on AWS, including virtual private clouds (VPCs), subnets, security groups, and storage.
• Perform the migration: Use tools such as AWS Database Migration Service (DMS) or third-party migration tools to move the data and applications to the new environment on AWS.
• Test and validate: Test and validate the migrated SAP system to ensure that it is working as expected and that data integrity is maintained.
• Go-live: Once testing is complete, cut over to the new environment on AWS, and perform any necessary post-migration tasks such as updating DNS entries and redirecting traffic.